GMAT course policies and information
Thank you for registering for a TestCrackers small group GMAT course! Please read and sign the 4 pieces of critical information. You may also wish to review the useful information that follows.
1. Refund/course change policy:
As indicated when you registered for the course, if you wish to withdraw from the course, you must do so at least two full weeks (14 days) before that course is scheduled to begin in order to receive a refund of your course fee. This is because we are committed to keeping class sizes small, and once you reserve a spot, we don’t offer that spot to anyone else. You may also switch to another course date, but only if you do so two full weeks (14 days) before the course for which you are registered is scheduled to begin.
Please electronically sign here to indicate that you have read and fully understand the refund policy above.
2. Practice exam:
As soon as possible, please take a strictly timed practice exam. Feel free to skip the first two sections, which are the essay and integrated reasoning sections. Do not put this off! As you will see below, there may be significant preparation that takes weeks to finish before the course starts, based on your test scores. Please input your scaled scores (0-51, not percentile) and overall score (200-800) below. If you've taken the actual GMAT, you may input those scaled scores instead.
3. Preparation for the quant course:
To study the GMAT, you first need to be solid on underlying math concepts. We advise that all students complete the Foundations of GMAT Math book --including the drills-- before the quant course begins. Most students need 2 to 6 weeks to complete this, so please do not put it off! Students who score 40 or above may not need extra time to review this material.
You may borrow a used copy from us for free, or purchase a copy ( ≈ $16 new on Amazon). To borrow, stop by our Berkeley office at any time of the day or night, enter the door code we e-mailed you, and go up the stairs. To your right will be a box of books. Take one!
If you signed up for a Santa Clara course-- you may also stop by at any time of the day or night. Just go up the stairs to the right at front of the building. Enter the glass doors using the gate code, then go through the doorway that you see on your right, and there will be a bookshelf on the left with the foundations books.
These books are also available in our SF office, in the right corner of the office after you enter.
Please return this book before you quant course is complete.
For additional study resources to supplement the book above, please see the Khan Academy links we have compiled here.
4. Preparation for the verbal course:
There is a lot of material to cover in order to master the GMAT. Much of it, including the reading comprehension passages, short critical reasoning passages, and sentences correction, relies on your familiarity with and ability to read and comprehend dense, technical passages. One of the best ways to practice this before beginning your actual study is to read dense, technical passages! Here are some links to free sources of relevant material. If you struggle to understand these, you can get started with some daily practice:
Locations and Parking
SAN FRANCISCO OFFICE
Our office is located at 582 Market Street Suite 301. You will receive a code for the door by e-mail. We are literally on top of the Montgomery BART station.
If you do drive, you will need to pay for parking. Please check yourself for updates, but last we looked these were the best deals nearby:
Weeknight Parking SF: 155 Stevenson St. - Garage (Lot 385).
If you reserve online, you can park for as long as 2 pm - midnight for $10. It should be the first option listed here. Parking in the same lot costs more if you do not reserve ahead of time.
Saturday Parking SF: 173 Sutter St. - Post Montgomery Center Valet Garage (Lot 422)
If you reserve online, you can park anytime Saturday until 7 pm for $12. It should be the first option listed here. Parking in the same lot costs more if you do not reserve ahead of time.
Sunday Parking SF: 50 3rd St. - Park Central Valet
If you reserve online, you can park anytime Sunday from 2 pm - 10 pm for $15. It should be the second option listed here. Parking in the same lot costs more if you do not reserve ahead of time.
Street Parking There is very limited street parking available in the area, and we do not recommend relying on this. Most meters must be kept current until 6:30 pm.
1. Address: Our office is located in the second floor of 3284 Adeline Street in Berkeley, CA. You should have already received a code for the door by e-mail. We are a short walk (3 blocks) away from the Ashby BART station. We are not located in Oakland: that is the wrong 3284 Adeline!
2. If you're driving, there is plenty of parking available near our office. After 6 (any day) and on Sundays: Nearly all public and on-street parking in our area is unrestricted.
Before 6 pm on weekdays and Saturdays: There is a 2-hour limit on parking in front of businesses near us on Adeline, and in the lot on the Southeast Corner diagonally across Adeline and Alcatraz from our office. Enter this lot from Alcatraz. Parking is also available on side streets to the west of Adeline.
SANTA CLARA OFFICE
1. Address: Our office is located at 1543 Lafayette St., Suite B, Santa Clara, CA. As you face the building from the street just go up the steps to the right of the K & H Fine Jewelry and we are right there. We are a short walk from Santa Clara University.
2. Parking: There is free on-street and on-site parking. To park in our lot, enter the driveway on the right side of the building and park in any space on the left.
3. Go to http://www.testcrackers.org/coursecalendar/ and click on any of your class sessions to download the course schedule directly to your calendar -- please be sure to download the quant and/or verbal course(s) you registered for!
During and one week after your Quant Course, you have access to 2 hours per week of instructor-led drop-in quantitative office hours in the Berkeley office or 2 hour per week of online quant office hours.
During and in the month following your Verbal course, you have access to two 2-hour sessions online verbal office hours.
If you wish to continue attending office hours after your courses are complete, you may purchase more sessions here.
Quantitative Office Hours: (calendar)
GMAT quant students have access to 9 office hour sessions: one in each week that follows one of their 7 class sessions, plus 2 additional session to use within the 2 months following their course.
Berkeley: Sundays 10 am - 12 noon, 3284 Adeline St (Berkeley Office)
Online: Saturdays 9 - 11 am, Online
If you wish to continue attending office hours after your included hours are complete, you may purchase more sessions here.
Verbal Office Hours: (calendar)
During and in the month following your Verbal course, you have access to two 2-hour sessions of verbal office hours online:
Online GMAT Verbal Office Hours:
March 19 Session - Tuesday, 3/19 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm (online)
April 20 Session - Saturday, 4/20 2:30 - 4:30 pm (online)
If you wish to continue attending office hours after your Verbal course is complete, you may purchase more sessions here.
|Course Title||Location||Day of the Week||Times||Instructor||Start Date |
|Class 2||Class 3||Class 4||End Date |
|4.28 GMAT Verbal||San Francisco||Sundays||1:30 - 4:30 pm||Isaac||4/28||5/05||5/12||5/19||6/02||SKIPS 5/26|
|5.05 GMAT Verbal||Santa Clara||Sundays||1 - 4 pm||Kirk||5/05||5/12||5/19||6/02||6/09||SKIPS 5/26|
|5.22 GMAT Verbal||Berkeley||Wednesdays||6:30 - 9:30 pm||Seth||5/22||5/29||6/05||6/12||6/19|
|5.28 GMAT Verbal||San Francisco||Tuesdays||6:30 - 9:30 pm||Isaac||5/28||6/04||6/11||6/18||6/25|
|6.12 GMAT Verbal||Santa Clara||Wednesdays||6:30 - 9:30 pm||Kirk||6/12||6/19||6/26||7/03||7/10|
|6.22 GMAT Verbal||San Francisco||Saturdays||10:30 am - 1:30 pm||Seth||6/22||6/29||7/13||7/20||7/27||SKIPS 7/06|
|7.14 GMAT Verbal||Berkeley||Sundays||1:30 - 4:30 pm||Anisa||7/14||7/21||7/28||8/04||8/11|
|7.21 GMAT Verbal||Santa Clara||Sundays||1 - 4 pm||Kirk||7/21||7/28||8/11||8/18||8/25||SKIPS 8/4|
|8.07 GMAT Verbal||San Francisco||Wednesdays||6:30 - 9:30 pm||Isaac||8/07||8/14||8/21||8/28||9/04|
|Course Title||Location||Day of the Week||Times||Instructor||Start Date |
|Class 2||Class 3||Class 4||Class 5||Class 6||End Date |
|4.11 GMAT Quant||San Francisco||Thursdays||6:30 - 9:30 pm||Isaac||4/11||4/18||4/25||5/02||5/09||5/16||5/23|
|4.30 GMAT Quant||Santa Clara||Tuesdays||6:30 - 9:30 pm||Andrew||4/30||5/07||5/14||5/21||5/28||6/04||6/11|
|5.05 GMAT Quant||Berkeley||Sundays||5:30 - 8:30 pm||Anisa||5/05||5/12||5/19||6/02||6/09||6/16||6/23||SKIPS 5/26|
|5.11 GMAT Quant||San Francisco||Saturdays||3:30 - 6:30 pm||Yuri||5/11||5/18||6/01||6/08||6/15||6/22||6/29||SKIPS 5/25|
|6.09 GMAT Quant||Santa Clara||Sundays||5 - 8 pm||Andrew||6/09||6/16||6/23||6/30||7/14||7/21||7/28||SKIPS 7/7|
|6.13 GMAT Quant||San Francisco||Thursdays||6:30 - 9:30 pm||Isaac||6/13||6/20||6/27||7/11||7/18||7/25||8/01||SKIPS 7/04|
|6.17 GMAT Quant||Berkeley||Mondays||6:30 - 9:30 pm||Seth||6/17||6/24||7/01||7/08||7/15||7/22||7/29|
|7.18 GMAT Quant||Santa Clara||Thursdays||6:30 - 9:30 pm||Andrew||7/18||7/25||8/01||8/08||8/15||8/22||8/29|
|7.21 GMAT Quant||San Francisco||Sundays||5:30 - 8:30 pm||Isaac||7/21||7/28||8/04||8/11||8/18||8/25||9/08||SKIPS 9/01|
4. We are able to offer two make-up classes per course (so two classes for the quant course and two classes for the verbal course). If you have to miss a class, find the class that corresponds to the one you will be missing (can be the same or a different location), and e-mail contact at testcrackers.org to make sure there are make-up spots available in that class. In addition, there are videos of all class material on-line, which can be used to make up a class or to review material. Access to the on-line videos will be given during the first class. PLEASE DO NOT MISS THE FIRST CLASS.
5. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, this class is very participatory, so, with very few exceptions, you (not the instructor) will be doing all the problems presented in class. We call on people to answer questions whether or not they raise their hand--so let us know if you'd prefer that we not call on you. Please note that this means we all need to make one another feel comfortable taking risks and asking a lot of questions. So we ask that you be very careful not to judge anyone in the class for how they answer questions or what questions they ask. If we were taking a class in your area of expertise, we would look like utter fools. And that's OK! GMAT questions can be intimidating--we need your help in making the space one where we all can feel good and comfortable while mastering the exam!